1. Is repatriation of investment and dividends allowed?
Capital repatriation and remittance of dividends and interest is guaranteed to foreign investors under the Investment Proclamation. Any foreign investor has the right, in respect of an approved investment, to make the following remittances out of Ethiopia in convertible currency at the prevailing exchange rate on the date of remittance:
- profits and dividends accruing from an investment;
- principal and interest payments on external loans;
- payments related to technology transfer or management agreements;
- proceeds from sale or liquidation of an enterprise;
- proceeds from the sale or transfer of shares or of partial ownership of an enterprise to a domestic investor;
- compensation paid to a foreign investor;
Expatriates employed in an enterprise may remit, in convertible foreign currency, salaries and other payments accruing from their employment in accordance with the foreign exchange regulations or directives of the country.